The purpose of the study is to better understand the evolving medium of social virtual reality (VR). We focus in particular on the design choices and emerging practices that shape the experience of these applications for users. Specifically, we want to understand the relationship between particular design choices and the kinds of social interactions they promote.This research takes 40-60 minutes and you will be entered into a raffle for an 2021 Oculus Quest 2 device upon sign up.
First you will receive an email after signing the consent form. This will contain a short survey for you to complete prior to the study. Then, we will ask you to complete a group task with other participants in a social VR application.
- Must be 18+ years old
- Must be in the United States
- Have access to a PC and SteamVR, Oculus or Mozilla Hubs VR
- Must have access to Zoom
- Use Mozilla Firefox browser, or download it here
Participants who have VR headsets
- If you have access to a consumer VR headset of your own, you can participate in the study remotely. Required VR headsets:
- Windows Mixed Reality
- Pico Neo 2
- Oculus Quest 1 or 2
- Oculus Go
- HTC Vive
- Valve Index
- Oculus Rift
- Oculus Quest and Oculus Go users must use Firefox Reality. Please review the instructions here to set it up.
Participants who do not have VR headsets
- If you do not have access to a VR headset, you are welcome to participate in the study in person by visiting our Social Emotional Tech-nology Lab at the University of California Santa Cruz.
- You will be prompted with further instructions after you decide to join the study.
Long (45+ mins)
$5 Amazon gift card + chance to win an Oculus Quest 2
November 30, 2021Join study