The purpose of the study is to better understand the evolving medium of social virtual reality (VR). We focus in particular on the design choices and emerging practices that shape the experience of these applications for users. Specifically, we want to understand the relationship between particular design choices and the kinds of social interactions they promote.
First, we will email you a short survey to complete prior to the study. Then, we will ask you to complete a group task with other participants in a social VR application. The completion of the group task will take about 40-60 mins. We will be observing what you will be doing in the VR session. The session will be video, and audio recorded, and then stored on a password-protected PC. This video file will be used for the analysis purposes only. Upon completing our session in VR, you will receive an email with a link to a follow-up survey. You will be asked to complete this survey online at your earliest convenience. Your responses in the survey will help measure your experience of the group exercise during the VR study session.
- Must be 18+ years old
- Must be in the United States
- Have access to a PC and SteamVR, Oculus or Mozilla Hubs VR
- Must have access to Zoom
- Use Mozilla Firefox browser, or download it here
Participants who have VR headsets
- If you have access to a consumer VR headset of your own, you can participate in the study remotely. Required VR headsets:
- Windows Mixed Reality
- Pico Neo 2
- Oculus Quest 1 or 2
- Oculus Go
- HTC Vive
- Valve Index
- Oculus Rift
- Oculus Quest and Oculus Go users must use Firefox Reality. Please review the instructions here to set it up.
Participants who do not have VR headsets
- If you do not have access to a VR headset, you are welcome to participate in the study in person by visiting our Social Emotional Technology Lab at the University of California Santa Cruz.
- You will be prompted with further instructions after you decide to join the study.
Long (45+ mins)
Win $20 Amazon gift card
August 31, 2021Join study